Friday 21 November 2014

The Watts Power Stations Cycle Challenge - COMPLETED



As you might recall, Sunday 9th November was the day of my big cycle challenge around the East and West Midlands to celebrate my Dad’s life in the area, 12 months after he lost his battle with cancer. 



I really couldn’t have asked for better weather for this time of year, the crisp morning giving way to some lovely sunshine in the afternoon.



I had a great ride down memory lane to Castle Donnington stopping off at Hockley Heath, Cheswick Green and the CEGB HQ in Shirley.   By the time I arrived in Castle Donnington I’d covered 60 miles on my own and was happy to meet up with AT&T colleges Ian Bramhall and Nick Barlow, who were to ride with me for the next 20 miles to Willington power station along with one of Ian’s friends, Ken.



After parting with the guys and my family at Merica Marina, in the shadow of the disused Willington cooling towers, it was another solo ride along the river Trent towards my final destinations.  Negotiating closed roads by the site of the old power station at Drakelow, and then on around Hams Hall to eventually arrive in the dark at the Marie Curie Hospice in Solihull at 5:15pm … to a welcome party of family and friends.  Along, enjoyable day in the saddle with a few unscheduled detours took the total distance up to 130miles!



So far I have raised over £850 to help Marie Curie continue their work supporting terminally ill patients and would like to thank each and every one of you for your support and generosity in this.

Just finished @ Marie Curie Hospice

No comments:

Post a Comment