Monday 7 January 2013

It's a New Year!!!

We all made it through the predicted Armageddon in December and the world is still turning, so at the end of one calendarer cycle we start a new. 

This year I'm hoping to become more focused within my training sphere and make some marked improvements in my fitness to take everything up a level.  Focusing on the short term to make the gains long term.  I now have one of these fancy GPS training devices from Garmin, which will mean a bit of effort up front but will hopefully keep me motivated and help me monitor what I'm doing and whether I'm improving.

I'm trying to track my cycling mileage this year with a target of 7,500 miles set over a 500 hour time frame.  I will also be attempting to cycle every journey to work over the coming year which in turn should make those targets much more achievable. 

I have a personal goal to start running regularly again without affecting my back, and to do that I will be trying to increase my flexibility with the use of a foam roller and regular stretching.  The goal has a fairly modest target of running 3 times a week, with a weekly mileage target of over 10 miles per week. 

Plans are already a foot for a Euro road trip this Summer down to Italy via France, Germany and Switzerland.  Taking Svan on a 1500 mile round trip to Lake Garda with a loaded bike rack, hopefully taking in some monumental passes around the Rhone-Alps region of France.


There is a sad realisation that my cyclocross season is over almost before it began.  With only 5 races done this season time and circumstance has got the better of me, and regrettably I never really got into the rhythm.  I missed a couple of races due to illness but changes to race schedules meant it became difficult to fit them around family and work commitments.  Hopefully next season will see a return to a full programme of racing, or at least proper focus on a series of races.

I'm looking forward to reviewing more cycling products in the coming months for the nice folk at Cult Racing Cycles, and to will start to post some old reviews up here soon.

  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment